Plain of Ice
... and if I am going to die, I will take you with me

From Yesterday

Started by Xiaolen Huang at Apr 02, 2019 7:41 pm
27 Posts

Xiaolen Huang

Little Bee

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.

? Years Young 22 Posts Goteijusantai Nibantai Lieutenant

That was quite the number of them to be able to remember. Certainly, that'd be more than she could identify, but it'd been a good long while since last she'd been anywhere near a garden, let alone had the time to actually look at what it had in them. That was odd to think about. Sometimes, she wondered how so much time had gotten away from her, but perhaps the answer was, it just did.

"Well, you'd be doing better than I would," she said, kind of amused. "My mother used to have a garden, in the back of our manor. When she'd gone, nobody bothered to take care of it, and half of it died, the other half went wild and was cut down and replaced with shrubs that didn't need any real tending. I used to like gardening. I thought I might try getting back into it." And if this was eventually going to be home, which, it seemed like it would, at this rate, maybe here was a good place to start trying her hands at it again.

"Besides, it's pretty." She did think it was, indeed. Really, it was, and there were probably things back there she hadn't ever seen before, or at least hadn't seen for a while, and that was kind of fascinating unto itself.

Habaek Jeon

Pretty Petals
? Years Young 13 Posts Goteijusantai Rokubantai Captain

Mm. Well, they'd had very different upbringings, he knew that. It was sad in a way because they... both had had plenty of things go poorly for them. They'd both had impossible weights pressed on their shoulders, but in many ways hers had been a dozen times worse. The Huang family was... something and it was unfortunate, really, that entire generations had grown up the way Xiaolen did.

"You should, if you enjoy it." Habaek encouraged immediately. Something she enjoyed other than work would be good. Hobbies, he'd been told, were good things. Granted that had been in his direction - but he could recognize that it would benefit them both to actually find something else to do with at least some of their time.

He should probably figure out one of those hobby things too. Later, maybe. He'd worry about that later. "Worst that happens though is that you decide you'd rather not stick to it, and find something else." Which that really wasn't all that bad. The gardens out there had done okay so far without too much in the way of dedicated attention, after all.

Ah, well that was true, too. They were pretty. And there was something to be said for spending time giving life instead of dealing with death all the time. "I like to spend time out there sometimes. It's peaceful."

Carefully Habaek set one of the cups in front of Xiaolen. Oolong, because that was what she'd asked for, of course.

Xiaolen Huang

Little Bee

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.

Yeah, maybe she should. It wasn't like there was much else to do, and she'd have to figure out how to entertain herself sometimes, probably. Certainly, Habaek couldn't spend all his time talking to her, when they weren't working, and it wasn't even like she minded that. She'd probably try and find friends, too, though she'd never really made friends before. Well, him, a long time ago. It was a good question, whether she could manage to remember how to or not. What'd she do, back then? Just a lot of complaining about Ashera, she thought. Hmm.

"I don't really know if I do or not, anymore," she admitted. "So, of course, finding out. No sense going I don't know and leaving it there, or something." That never got anyone anywhere. Quietly, she murmured a thank you, when he set the teacup down in front of her. Ah, she'd almost forgotten what they'd come in here for. That was kind of amusing, in a sense.

"Besides, I hear hobbies are good things to have." And, of course, pestering him all the time, sooner or later, they'd start hating each other. Absence made the heart grow fonder, or something like that. "Yeah?" She supposed it might be. "What do you do when you're not working, anyway?" Did he have some of those elusive hobby things, or were they both more or less equally sad? Hey, maybe they could discover life outside of work somewhat together.

Habaek Jeon

Pretty Petals

"Makes sense to me." Trying it out couldn't hurt. And it wasn't like he didn't already have a garden out there for her to play with if that was something she ended up enjoying. And if she didn't then... well the garden had been there for a long time and it wasn't likely to suddenly fail just because she decided she didn't want to spend a bunch of time on it.

Habaek took a small sip of his own tea, taking a moment to savor the taste of it. He'd heard the same, and nodded slightly at that. Hobbies were supposed to be good. Things to fill the days when one wasn't working. ... Also supposed to be enjoyable.

"Ah, caligraphy, sometimes." Mildly. Sometimes that was taken as yes it was a hobby and other times someone rolled their eyes at him and pointed out that that could too easily relate to work. But then again most of them hadn't seen the more artful caligraphy pieces. Which, that was fair. He didn't tend to show them off except on the rarest of occasions during the class that he taught at the academy sometimes.

"Not much else though, I should probably add to that list." Maybe. He didn't know what but maybe something after all. "So maybe we should explore some different things together."

It... might be fun? Even if they turned out to like different things in the process that was good, because they definitely should have lives outside of work and each other. They were both far too private people to not.

Xiaolen Huang

Little Bee

Oh, yes. She still had, and probably would never tell him that, several of his earlier calligraphic pieces. You know, a few he'd thrown away, and had likely forgotten existed at all, among a few others. Most of them were practice pieces that didn't quite work out right. When he was younger, he used to have entire piles of the darn things. She also kept every issue of the Seireitei Communication that happened to feature anything he did.

... that was kind of creepy, wasn't it? Funny enough, what had most likely set Tetsuya off in the end was her obsession with Habaek. Xiaolen had liked him for a very long time, and hiding that sort of thing... she wasn't good at it, back then.

Maybe she'd neglect to let him know she'd held onto some of those. And if he recognised them, when they inevitably ended up on his walls, well. Fine. Somewhere amid him talking, she'd slumped against the table. Actually, she was more relaxed here than anywhere else, and that was perhaps a bit strange, for her. Xiaolen never did entirely unwind.

Then, she sighed, more to herself, shuffled around, and laid down in his lap. "Maybe we should," she agreed. Probably, they should. Both of them needed more hobbies anyway, and maybe by exploring new ones together, they'd find some they liked on their own, too. "I like listening to you talk," she mentioned, somewhere in there. "It's calming. But I don't think that counts as a hobby." Maybe it didn't.

Habaek Jeon

Pretty Petals

(It occurs to me that he will probably do a piece or two specifically for her and she's probably going to be thrilled given the collection she's got...)

If Habaek thought anything of the way Xiaolen slumped against the table, he said nothing of it. Privately he thought it was kind of nice, seeing her relax even just that small amount. It was... in some ways almost a win, in the sense that she trusted him enough to relax even the slightest bit in his presence. It said something about their relationship, he was sure.

Habaek tried not to dwell on it too much, there wasn't a lot of point, and it couldn't really be anything bad after all.

That surprised him a little, though the expression was fleeting before it faded to calm again. No, he hadn't been expecting her to end up partway in his lap, but Habaek found he didn't mind at all. Almost reflextively he reached down to adjust the way one of the pieces of her hair had fallen, but stopped himself before actually making further contact with her. Instead he put that hand back where it had originally been resting on the table, that was probably wiser.

"I don't think so, exactly." Habaek agreed mildly, sounding just the slightest bit embarrassed by that particular admission. "But for what it's worth, I enjoy listening to your voice as well." Call them both sappy or something like that, apparently.

Figuring out something to do though, as a hobby, could be a bit daunting. Who had time to just explore random things until something stuck? Then again that was probably part of the point, just, spending time doing something else. It was... still a foreign concept that Habaek wasn't very sure of.

Xiaolen Huang

Little Bee

(Lol that might be how he discovers this collection of hers. xD)

"Well, that's unfortunate," she answered. If that wasn't a hobby, then she really didn't have many. But that wasn't surprising, or it shouldn't have been, considering she was who she was. Huangs, and Nibantai, hardly had time for such trivialities, but more and more often, Xiaolen couldn't help wondering whyWhy was everyone else in the Gotei allowed to have a life but her.

It wasn't like it was their fault and she knew it, but often she found she resented people that weren't her. Someday, she hoped to find what they already had. That is, the freedom and the space to be herself and figure out who, exactly, that is, because come to find out, she really didn't know who she was. Whoever she was, Xiaolen wanted to meet her.

"Really?" she asked. "It's so squeaky." Well, at the moment, it probably sounded like she was falling asleep. She was. And tomorrow, she'd be confused by the implications of this, because being able to fall asleep here, when it was just them, meant she trusted him a bit more than she thought she did. But maybe that was good. It was probably a good thing to trust the person you were marrying.

Yeah... she wouldn't really know about that, but it sounded right. And yes, she always did intend to say yes. It was just a matter of handling some loose ends, and doing it. "By the way, Xiaolen Jeon sounds pretty nice, huh." Actually, it did. Thereabouts, her breathing evened out. Here probably wasn't the best place to be asleep, but Habaek was warm and weirdly snuggly.

And safe. Yeah. He felt pretty safe.