Plain of Ice
... and if I am going to die, I will take you with me

Kintsukuroi

Started by Iname Kurogane at Apr 03, 2019 3:17 pm
23 Posts

Iname Kurogane

? Years Young 12 Posts Goteijusantai Kyubantai Eighth Seat

Yeah, Iname had kind of expected that from Kaiou - the confirmation that he was indeed being silly. It was nice, hearing his voice again, hearing his thoughts. It was also nice to know that he still knew Kai well enough to guess at some of what he might say. Still, it was nice hearing it from him instead of from the proverbial - he could sense Hyoukai preparing to protest - or literal voice in his head. Didn't change that he was being silly, but it wasn't really going to until he got the proposal over with.

Yeah, that was true. They'd been together so long a lot of people probably forgot they weren't married after all - just like Kaiou had. Maybe it didn't really matter as long as they were both happy. But he also didn't really want Ciaran to think Iname didn't want to marry him or take his name or anything like that. Ciaran was important to Iname, and he was sort of afraid that stalling would give the wrong impression. It wasn't like Ciaran had ever given any indication of something like that, but Iname wasn't sure if Ciaran would either. It was... hard to say, really. And Iname didn't want to hurt him even inadvertently.

On the other hand, it was probably impossible to avoid hurting him entirely. If only because they were different people and they didn't see things the same way and there may always be times when they didn't see eye to eye and had to talk it out.

At the bit about Shouren, Iname just gave something of a knowing smile. Yes, he'd figured that Kaiou wasn't going to ask, but he also imagined that Kai would want the answer. And as it turned out, he'd been right.

"Mm. I mean... there's that." He said finally. "We are practically married already. And Ciaran really isn't the sort to get caught up in the little things." Iname knew that. Either way, he should stop stressing out about it. "Thanks Kai." Somehow after all this time he always knew what to say.

... Tapping, there was tapping on the doorframe. Iname turned very slightly to see Atsuya in the doorway. "Sorry to interrupt," He started quietly, "but I thought Kai might like this sooner rather than later.' Atsuya held up Inori.

Kaiou Kurogane

Love unveils the mask we fear we cannot live without, but cannot live within.

? Years Young 10 Posts Rogue

"You're welcome," he answered. Of course, Iname always was. That was what twins were for, or at least, that was what Kaiou always figured. He started to say something else, but, that was dad in the doorway. (He was going to have to figure out what to call them now that their mom was another... dad.... later, he'd figure that out later).

"Ahh!" Inori! Kaiou scrambled over there and took the earring, hugging it against his cheek. "I missed you, you pissy water snake thing you," yes he did. Quite happily, he attached the earring to his ear where it was supposed to be. The weight was a bit strange now, but also still mostly familiar, and it almost immediately made him feel better. Maybe he'd stop being so jumpy, now.

"Thanks. No worries though, I was just helping Iname with his feelings, nothing unusual." At that, he stuck his tongue out slightly. "Funny how that's the first thing I do after getting out." Yet, very unsurprising. "But I missed it anyway." Yeah, so he did. Strange how that worked out. But there were constants in his life that had gone away when he did. It was worth it, ultimately, but still, things had drastically changed, and now they were different but the same, and it was probably going to be difficult to reconcile the two in his head, of how life should be and how it was.

He'd get the hang of it, eventually. He just needed time, but, fortunately, Shinigami had a good deal of that.

Iname Kurogane

Iname didn't have a chance to say much of anything to that, of course, because of Otousan's appearance in the doorway. Then again maybe he didn't need to say anything to that anyway. He smiled a little as Kai momentarily snuggled with his Zanpakuto before putting it back in place - if only because it was cute when Kai was happy. Iname had missed this, had missed the being normal that having Kaiou around meant. It'd take time for things to be okay but they would slowly return to normal and maybe there would be a little less uncertainty in life and a few less holes.

Iname had never really gotten used to the hole in his life where his twin was supposed to be. But Kaiou having his zanpakuto returned to him highlighted the fact that he really was home to stay.

He looked rather chastised by that particular statement. That really hadn't been his intention but here they were. Kaiou had plenty of other things to worry about without helping Iname untangle his feelings. And yet... some things never changed. He was, after all, still a disaster with his emotions. "Sorry." Despite Kaiou mentioning that he'd sort of missed it. "If nothing else, it really could have waited." But Kaiou had asked about the marriage thing and it had sort of... tumbled into this. Whoops.

Atsuya wasn't particularly surprised by that, and he did smile a little. "Glad to reunite you." Yes, and thankful that Sandalio didn't insist on following that ridiculous law. "Dinner will also be ready soon." Just tossing that out there. "If you wanted to stick around, you're more than welcome, and unless Kaiou minds, so is Ciaran." Atsuya's tone made it rather clear that he'd actually prefer if Iname stuck around for a little while, at least.

Kaiou Kurogane

"I like having Ciaran around," Kaiou said, almost immediately. And he did. Ciaran was a nice guy, and Iname was happy with him (if a bit of a dork about it sometimes), that was all Kaiou really needed. Besides, he was a lot more fun than stuffy nobility was, and it'd be nice to have some laughter after all that time in his head. Everything still felt a bit surreal, like it was and it wasn't there, at the same time, and it'd be a bit easier to remember he existed and this wasn't just a dream with someone as vibrant as Ciaran around. As much as he'd like to run off and go find Shouren, it could wait a bit. Not that he expected they'd still be a thing; he'd been gone a long time and all, and Kaiou kind of hoped he'd moved on.

Still didn't regret it, though. It'd been worth it, to behead the snake before it could lunge at anyone else, and do more damage to the ones it'd already struck.

"Thank you," he mentioned, tilting his head a bit to gesture at Inori's earring. The water dragon was being quiet, at the moment, but Kaiou could sense its happiness. It was almost like a purring in the back of his soul, strangely. But then, they were Kurogane; maybe it wasn't as strange as it seemed like it should be. (Dragons shouldn't purr, but to be fair about it, it was a little more reptilian sounding, at least, as reptilian sounding as Inori ever was.) "Oh yeah, hey, you don't live here anymore huh." Kaiou had actually forgotten that. (Iname had mentioned it in their odd soul-talks.) That was odd, though. Kind of weird to imagine the Kurogane manor without him, but then, the same could probably have been said about him, once, too. That was okay. He'd get used to it.

"So, what division are you in these days?" He thought he remembered Iname mentioning he'd transferred out of Nibantai, but Kaiou didn't remember which one he'd gone to. Whichever one it was, it'd probably be wise to follow, being realistic.

Iname Kurogane

Well, he always had before, but Iname hadn't been completely certain how he'd feel about more people at the moment. Apparently though the answer was that he didn't mind after all. At least, he didn't mind the idea of Ciaran. Then again, they had always gotten along, and Ciaran wasn't particularly taxing to be around. Maybe it wasn't entirely his own bias that made him think that. Anyway. Not particularly important.

So he needed to find a second and let Ciaran know that Kaiou was home and also invite him over for dinner. See how work had been, all that good stuff.

"Mm-mm." He shook his head slightly. No he didn't live at home anymore. The manor had been oppressive and he'd been dating Ciaran for so long that it seemed like a logical step. They lived together and split the bills and that worked well for them. "But I'm around a decent amount." And never all that far anyway.

"Oh, I'm in ninth, under Cynemaer at the moment. He's a nice guy." Eerily calm and thus slightly unsettling at first, if one wasn't used to his type. But he was a nice guy and he was a good captain. "He's an Arrancar." He didn't think that would bother Kaiou in the long run, but putting that out there so he could start to consider it was probably a good idea. It was new, and there were a lot of new things being dropped on his brother, after all. And sometimes that one last different thing was enough to throw off the balance of everything else.

Kaiou Kurogane

That was nice, if he was around a lot. Then, Kaiou thought about it some, and he figured dad and... dad... probably wouldn't let him stay away all that long, anyhow. They were pretty big on the whole family thing, and keeping theirs together, so it made sense if Iname tried to stay gone too long, either one would probably pester the crap out of him. And Ciaran seemed to have a thing about family, too, and may help with that endeavour.

At least he wouldn't have to go pester his brother all the time. But he probably would occasionally, anyway. "Ninth..." Hmm. Well, he probably had the brain for ninth. Certainly stupid officers didn't last in ninth very long. It was the same sort of work, a lot of the time, just without many of the drawbacks of second. Maybe Kaiou wouldn't be so bad at ninth, either. Of course, he was kind of rusty. It wasn't like they did drills in the Maggot's Nest, and Iname was probably a lot stronger than him, now.

"I've never gotten to meet an actual arrancar," he said, his gaze turning toward the ceiling in thought. "That might be kind of cool. What's he like? I hear Gage-san's very loud." Then, shinigami were drastically different, he imagined arrancar were much the same. At least, that made sense to him, so maybe uhh. Cynemaer-taichou wasn't much like Gage-san.

Iname Kurogane

"Gage-san is very loud." Iname agreed mildly. "Cynemaer-taicho is..." Hm... actually he wasn't immediately sure what the best way of putting that into words was going to be, and so he was quiet for a second or two longer thinking about that. "I mean he's quiet and a very steady sort. No real temper that I've noticed." There might have been one there, but Iname hadn't ever seen someone manage to draw it to the surface. That was... strange in and of itself.

"I enjoy working with him." The steadiness was nice, peaceful almost. "He is blind, but that manages to be a lot less of a problem than you might think." Probably it was just that he'd had time to learn to work around it, but it was still a pretty interesting thing to note. "Ninth also branched out and we cycle in and out of helping run a tea shop called the Dai Li." Iname thought Kaiou might find that interesting.

It wasn't exactly what Kaiou had asked, but it was a pretty neat development and a fun team building exercise that didn't involve half dying regularly. Things were shaping back up now that the Winter War was over, and a lot of positive strides had been made.

"...I should probably get in touch with Ciaran if I was going to invite him to dinner, before I forget to do it." That would be rude and Iname didn't want to do that. With that in mind, Iname raised one hand to activate his invisor, and waited while the screen materialzed acrossed his eyes. "I'm not sure if you've seen the Invisors yet." Possibly on the guards, but also maybe not all the same.

It didn't take long to find Ciaran's contact, and Iname waited for the call to go through, uncertain if the other was still at work or not. ... Well, the worst that happened was he waited a while and tried again.

Kaiou Kurogane

A blind, quiet, steady Arrancar with no real temper sounded interesting. It sounded like he'd at least get along with him, but, Kaiou rarely ever didn't get along with someone, really. Most of the time, Kaiou was also fairly quiet and steady, and didn't seem to have a temper (he did, though, oh he definitely did). A tea shop sounded strange, but then, ninth probably didn't have a lot to do, either, unless something was (potentially?) exploding. May as well spend their time doing something at least somewhat productive. Idle hands, and all of that.

Was that what those were called? Kaiou, of course, looked interested, shuffling a bit closer to get a better look at the screen things. The guards in the Maggot's Nest had those, after a point; one guard smacked another upside the head for something, and the thing deactivated, so he tried not to touch it, at least. Iname's was a different colour than the ones the guards had. Maybe it was colour-coded by something, though, off-hand - ah, wait, no, that was ninth's colour, wasn't it? And the guards in the Nest had the indigo Nibantai used.

Huh. So they were division colour coded. That was fascinating.

It took a few rings, but, the call eventually connected. "Just a second," Ciaran said, and then barked, "You do that again, I'm gonna shove your head in it and Kurogane-Taichou will just laugh about it. ... sorry about that. ... you don't want to know. Yes, love?"
Kaiou, on the other end, kind of made an "ooo" sort of expression. Apparently this was a communications system. That much had never been explained, and the guards never really used the... invisors? Was that what Iname had called them? The guards never used them much. At least, not around him, he was sure they used them when they weren't bothering with him. There were a lot of things the guards likely did when they weren't bothering with him.

He still thought it a bit strange to be out, now. He'd uh. He'd get used to it, eventually. Maybe. Probably.

Iname Kurogane

There was a brief amused noise. "I'm curious but I believe you." He probably really didn't want to know if Ciaran said he didn't, being fair. Most likely it wasn't super important. "Though I am sorry they haven't learned their lesson yet. And that it's apparently not a good time." Just, leaving that there. Because Juichi was always up to something that hey shouldn't be and they never seemed to learn that they needed to settle down before their captain or Lieutenant bothered them.

"Ah, well it's rather short notice but Kaiou's home and we've been invited to dinner tonight, if you wanted to come." It was one of those things Iname could do by himself, but Kai had already expressed a willingness to see Ciaran and, well if nothing else letting him know what was going on was good.

Suddenly not being there when Ciaran expected him to be was not good, if only because in their lines of work, things could go very wrong very quickly. And sure, someone would tell Ciaran if that were the case, it still didn't mean it was a good thing to leave hanging in the air.

At any rate he thought the short version covered it. And maybe it did take out some of the surprise, since he'd already mentioned Kaiou, but saying that part explained, ah, quite a bit about the short notice so it had seemed right. Besides the surprise had really been more for him than for Ciaran. ... Though maybe he'd have to get off his ass and actually give Ci the ring sometime within the next few days. He'd already waffled on it too long, Kaiou was right.

Of course, he did notice Kaiou's interest in the invisor system. And no, it didn't surprise him at all. Kaiou had always been into things like that and picking them apart. It was too bad he couldn't let Kai use it. But then again it probably wouldn't be terribly long before he got one of his own so that was okay really.

Ciaran Owen

Ri na Nathracha

I hate myself. Even as I bark at the moon, I don't have the courage to reach out and grab it.

? Years Young 3 Posts Goteijusantai Juichibantai Lieutenant

Well, Juichi were always up to something, so perhaps that wasn't really something that should be surprising. But, they were supposed to be leaving here in a minute or so, and Ciaran was going to be right behind them, because they didn't pay enough in overtime for him not to. (He loved his job, really, but sometimes it could use to fuck right off.) Wasn't really something for Iname to be sorry for, either, but he didn't say that, just made a slightly annoyed noise in the back of his throat.

Oh, Kaiou was home. That was good news! Ciaran wasn't sure if they'd ever get him out, but apparently so. It was good he was home. That was where he should be, if you asked Ciaran, not that anyone had, but the sentiment was there. "I see, that's good news!" he said, and he genuinely did sound pleased about it.

"I can head that way after I'm off, then," he went on. "The idiots, I mean, Juichi, should be leaving here in a minute or so, and nobody pays me enough overtime not to be right after them." It'd be nice to see Kaiou, Ciaran always did like him, even if he did like to go in nerd-circles Ciaran didn't quite understand and leave him utterly befuddled. He did have to hope the isolation hadn't killed that part of his personality; it was very Kaiou to go off into the sunset about something nerdy, and it just wouldn't be the same if he didn't do that anymore.

Well, maybe even if he did, it'd come back sooner or later, with time.