Plain of Ice
... and if I am going to die, I will take you with me

Starlight's Song

Started by Kasaya Nakajima at Apr 03, 2019 5:14 pm
12 Posts

Kasaya Nakajima

Star Queen

We are all a single strand in the web of life. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.

? Years Young 6 Posts Goteijusantai Kidoshu Third Seat

In the days when the Goteijusantai followed their founder, and always had they, the shinigami began to lose the knowledge of their forefathers, that of what they protected, and the full brunt of understanding how thin the line between existing and not existing truly was. All of existence had come together in a very specific, perfect manner, almost as if by some happy accident, yet all the same, it was balanced on the edge of a knife. Life would continue; life was tenacious that way, and rarely did it meet a wall it couldn't eventually surmount. Existence, on the other hand, was a very different beast, even if it seemed the two coincided, or were even one and the same.

The early shinigami had eventually decided to try using the Soul King as a personal power source. Kasaya had always wondered what, exactly, had possessed them to come to such conclusion, but she'd not wondered too hard. Sometimes, wondering such things merely gave her a migraine, and perhaps even more questions than before. The Goteijusantai's founder was ostensibly about as likely to come to the same conclusion they did, and Kasaya had not trusted him with that particular level of knowledge. He knew enough to know the Soul King needed to be protected. That was all he needed, and during his tenure, he'd done quite a decent job of ensuring the Soul King was exactly that.

It'd built, eventually, the King's Dimension around itself, and the Sotaichou had sent many a good shinigami to protect it over the years. One, however, nearly breached that seemingly impenetrable defence for the first time in thousands of years, for the first time ever, but only one. All soldiers failed, sooner or later. Kasaya knew that. This Sotaichou, however, knew even less of the Soul King than his predecessor, but did not possess the hunger for power, as slight as the former Sotaichou's might've been. It seemed, even, he had a strange almost-reverence of it, as if power itself were something to be feared. Certainly, he was more intelligent than some. Perhaps, then, he could handle the knowledge to a further extent than those that came before him. Kasaya had watched, for a bit around twenty years, now, to determine whether he was or not.

In the end, she'd reached her conclusion. Such was how she ended up crossing the Ichibantai's courtyard, striding purposefully down the halls of the barracks, turning the correct corners, despite seemingly never having been here before, and walking right into the captain's office. She'd waited until an opportune moment on purpose, of course; it'd gone this long. It could stand to wait the few more hours until he was able to leave for an unknown period of time. Trips to Civir never lasted a split second, on this end.

For a moment, she stood in the doorway, watching in that expressionless manner she usually did. Then, she said, "I suppose I should start with, do you even remember my name?" It was possible he didn't. She'd been there since before even him; but time stretched on, and memories faded.

Open up your eyes; save yourself from fading away now, don't let it go;
Open up your eyes; see what you've become, don't sacrifice;

Sandalio Villas

León de España
? Years Young 8 Posts Goteijusantai Ichibantai Commander

The work of the Sotaicho was never exactly done. Which, of course, meant that Sandalio was never not busy. He was lazy sometimes, and took a his share of breaks. But at the end of the day, the Seireitei needed him to be doing his job - and generally he delivered. It was important to him, that things run as smoothly as they could. And he'd stepped up to the plate when the Sotaicho slot had been handed to him. The former Sotaichou would have been proud. At... least until he heard about the changes that Sandalio had made in his thus-far twenty year tenure. 

From the council they used to make important decisions on to adjusting the hybrid exile laws and outright tossing the law stating that no two Shinigami could wield the same Zanpakuto.... the changes had taken some getting used to. But Sandalio thought they were changes in the right direction. The Seireitei had been stagnant for a long, long time - but he wanted to see it grow into a group that would continue to survive the changes of the world around them. Keeping up with the times was important. The world they protected had long since outpaced their abilities to keep up, and if the Shinigami didn't change then things were never going to get better.

Sahura had requested new uniforms. Twelfth had revolutionized their communication systems, and changed the way the thirteenth division monitored those lines. All in the name of doing better for themselves in the future. They had not only picked themselves back up after the Winter War, but they had launched forward in a number of areas, and Sandalio was proud.

The large man sat back a little in the chair at his desk. The stack of paperwork he'd been working on was finished with - though he certainly had more to do. Drills had been done that morning. For a moment he debated between more paperwork and a circuit around the divisions - which he did rather frequently, being honest. Sandalio's mental debate was interrupted by the girl in his doorway. His attention focused on her instantly, mentally brushing away the rest. It could wait, and something about her caught him slightly off-balance.

... It was probably the fact that he hadn't noticed her up until that moment, being totally honest.

"I can't say that I do." He admitted after a moment. "I remember you're one of Kajiyama-taicho's officers. The one he keeps trying to make his lieutenant. But your name is escaping me at the moment, I'm sorry."

Kasaya Nakajima

Star Queen

We are all a single strand in the web of life. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.

Ah, he remembered a bit more than she had been expecting. Most forgot her entirely, sooner or later, and it was never terribly surprising in the end. After all, she'd been here since before this one had even been born, albeit none truly knew that. It was not a fact that Kasaya often flaunted. (Her name originally was not Kasaya, but now she couldn't remember what it'd been, and perhaps, in the end, it didn't matter terribly, either.) She smiled in her passive manner, clasping her hands together in front of her, and rocking back on her heels just slightly.

"You remember more than most," she said, tone smooth, somewhat soft, but not terribly quiet. "I may finally take him up on that Lieutenant badge, perhaps." Certainly, he'd been trying for a long time (but no Kajiyama was stupid; he knew full well and good what she was, so try as she might, that was, perhaps, not a very valid argument against the arrangement). "I'm called Kasaya Nakajima, but you can call me Kassi, if you want. If I may be so bold, perhaps I might take up a few minutes of your time? There's something you need to see." After a short pause, her gaze narrowed a bit, in thought. "Well, most likely, more than a few minutes, being honest." The King's Dimension was a very unpredictable one, and who knew what things they'd come across along the journey. She had an idea, of course; always she did. Yet there were things that caught even her off-guard, and perhaps that was okay. Predicting how the time-line would flow while they were away in the King's Dimension, that was quite the arduous task, and she wasn't the overseer of time for a reason, of course. That was a whole other can of worms, and Kasaya had never had much patience for dealing with it.

There was a reason, after all, she wasn't the overseer of time. It was a tangled, confusing, jumbled mess.

Ironic, she supposed, given how patient she could truly be, when she chose. The difference, she supposed, was that she chose. Yes, quite contrarily to many beliefs otherwise, the Soul King could be rather the virulent being at times, impatient and jumpy, too. That was part of existing, though, and even now, she'd not entirely become accustomed to it. There was time for that, though. Always there was time for that, for her, because she existed within and outside it in the same breath. It was quite the complicated thing to fathom, existing and not existing simultaneously, dying and being born at once, but what was a blink to her was millennia to mortals. It was just as well, she never truly explained anything. Who knew if any language even had the words for it all. Funny, wasn't it. Mortals had all these words for things, and yet so few of them really meant anything.

Sandalio Villas

León de España

Sandalio wasn't sure what to make of that statement, but he didn't dwell on it. He remembered more than most? Then again, she'd been here a long time, he thought, and it was possible that most had forgotten her over time. After all, many didn't interact with Kidoshu directly or frequently so she might slip from memory if she didn't actively interact with others and it was quite possible that she hadn't been

Well, Killian would certainly be pleased if she did finally take him up on that badge - the fox had clearly decided that he wanted her and had yet to consider anyone else for the position. Sandalio had suggested it, at one point, because it would be good for all of the divisions to have lieutenants and captains. After all that would mean that if anything happened to one or the other then there would be a sense of stability for the units. 

Kasaya Nakajima. He filed that away and hoped he wouldn't lose track of it as it might be somewhat important given she apparently wanted to talk about something.

"Of course you can." Without any real hesitation, Sandalio tried to be generally available to the Goteijusantai as much as he could. They were his people, and interaction with them helped him learn what they needed - it was the same reason he'd shifted to a council of his captains. Besides, it wasn't like he was in the middle of anything direly important just now - so it was as good a time as any to take a bit of a break and see what he could help with, if anything. "What can I help you with?"

Kasaya Nakajima

Star Queen

As was expected, at least, for her, she smiled slightly, that passive, I-know-something-you-don't-know smile, rocked back on her heels slightly. It wasn't as if she was expecting another answer, but it was always nice when they cooperated. Sometimes, she wasn't above getting insistent, but this was one of those times when, most likely, she wouldn't merely on principle. Besides, these sorts of things, they had to be something you walked into, not something you were shoved into. The difference seemed moot at surface level. It really wasn't.

"We'll have to go this way," she said. "It's not going to come to us." With that, she turned and headed back out. There was a special Senkaimon she used for this; it'd take some rerouting, as normally that Senkaimon didn't connect to Civir. It wasn't like she was going to leave a gate connected to the King's Dimenson all the time, but it was the gate that was typically connected to a path that went right past Civir, in a sense. Dimensions were a bit more complicated than that, but another thing language didn't have enough words for was describing them and the odd, nebulous manner they operated in.

About halfway across the courtyard, though, she clasped her hands together behind her, and turned around, walking backwards. "You may want to give the other Captains permission to make executive decisions in your absence," she said. "Time flows strangely where we're going. We may be there only a few minutes, and come back to find a week's gone by." Usually, it wasn't that much slower, but Civir had done some strange things before, even by her own standard. Strange for her was quite extraordinary for others, after all.

He'd ask, sooner or later. She still hadn't decided what to say. If she explained where they were going, he might change his mind... hmm. That was rather the conundrum.

Sandalio Villas

León de España

.... It? Sandalio didn't ask, instead rising from his seat. After all, he'd probably understand better once he saw whatever it was the other Shinigami intended to show him, strange though her request might be. Or, at least he hadn't planned on asking, and then she kept talking and said that and some part of him mentally dug its heels in.

He didn't mind giving that order, he trusted his captains, that's why they were still captains. He didn't dictate orders to them, he asked them for their opinions and they formulated something based on the group concensus. But the implications of that request made him uncomfortable. A week was a long time to be missing for a brief outting, and while the Seireitei would probably run fine without him it left more questions than anything.

He'd raised his hand to his Invisor to begin to transmit that information to the other captains, but then Sandalio lowered his hand back to his side and focused on Kasaya for a moment. Gray eyes were mostly unreadable, though someone who knew him well might recognize a bit of confusion there.

"And where... exactly are we going?" Was what Sandalio finally decided to ask. It was a simple question, rather open ended. Traversing dimensions often did end up taking more or less time than expected for no clear reason, but that didn't explain much given typically the Sotaicho didn't leave the Seireitei unless things were quite dire.

And with that kind of time gap.... they weren't going to the living world, for certain. Things never flowed that poorly in the Senkaimon. At least, not in his memory. Being fair, he'd been wrong before and he'd forgotten a lot. But ah, he was still going to wait for some sort of answer before he went along with this, if only for his peace of mind.

"Just wondering, becuase that's quite a possible time difference." Even if it wasn't guaranteed it was still a significant enough chance that she'd mentioned it.

Kasaya Nakajima

Star Queen

Ahh, hadn't she just thought she had no idea what she'd say?

Well, she supposed she'd better figure it out, and quickly. She paused in her stride, there, rocking back on her heels again. How to explain... "Somewhere that is, and is not," she said, her tone making it clear she was thinking about it as she spoke. "It is a world disconnected from the other worlds, where the natural pathways between dimensions don't normally lead. You must understand what it is you and yours protect, that you may protect it better. I am the one that shows the way, but I've only had one before you, and he could've turned the wrong way very easily. I never showed him, but I don't think you will." A bit akin to the imaginings of Charon, she was, in that way.

She wasn't quite sure she was going to outright say they called that land the King's Dimension, because perhaps that was extraneous information right now. "It's called Civir, where the Dreamer sleeps. That world has a bit of a mind of its own, and sometimes time flows faster in Civir than elsewhere, other times slower, other times much slower, and then once in a very grand while, you'll arrive before you've left, and I never know which it'll be. I suppose we'll see what mood Civir's in today." Now, that sounded cryptic and unbelievable, perhaps, but if you knew anything about Civir, you'd know she wasn't joking. Civir was, to a minor extent, itself sentient. It was, after all, an extension of Suryan, in a sense, and its close proximity to the Dreamer had given it a few properties most other dimensions never gained.

And thank the stars for that, they really didn't need Soul Society or Hueco Mundo, or the living world, becoming sentient.

Sandalio Villas

León de España

That was... both an answer and also really didn't feel like one. Somewhere that was... and was not? Sandalio wasn't sure what to think of that at first, but did consider it carefully while the other decided how to continue. He had asked, after all. It would be quite pointless to ask if he wasn't going to make any attempt at hearing the answer and considering it. That would be a waste of both of their times, after all.

He needed to understand what it was they protected? They protected the balance between the dimensions, didn't they? Didn't all Shinigami know and need to understand that? No, there had to be something... else. Something more to what she was saying than the surface level. ... Perhaps it was simply that there was more to what they protected than he realized. It was possible. Unsettling a thought in some ways, but possible.

Only one before him. Well, Sandalio knew who that was, but she'd never shown the last Sotaicho? So why him? She had both answered that (in stating that he could have turned the wrong way easily) and yet didn't, because why did she think he wouldn't? Sandalio liked to think no, but he wouldn't have necessarily put it to the last Sotaicho to have fallen prey to ... whatever it was she was worried about. He'd been hidebound and traditionalist, but not a bad person.

Civir. ... Where the Dreamer sleeps?  Sandalio had to admit he still wasn't sure what to make of what she'd said so far. On the other hand, maybe she had told him enough that it was worth taking that last step and just seeing what was on her mind. It was slightly risky, but perhaps it was enough that she thought it important enough to share with him.

"I see." Sandalio's voice was quiet and thoughtful. Did he trust her enough to take the risk? He had no reason not to exactly. Finally he nodded. "I'll let them know I may be gone a bit." And he would hope it wasn't that long.

One hand raised to activate his invisor and he sent a quick message to the other captains indicating that he was going on a trip that he hoped wouldn't take too long, but that in his absence they could make whatever decisions they saw fit. After all, Sandalio trusted his captains and rarely did anything without their majority vote anyway unless something required an immediate answer.

That was probably the best he was going to be able to do. Now to see this... Civir.

Kasaya Nakajima

Star Queen

Good. Kasaya wasn't really certain how else to explain this, so it was a good thing, for her, when he finally just decided to go with it. It made her life easier, to be sure, and she wasn't sure what else to say without just telling him everything, and that would defeat the purpose of going in the first place. Suryan had a much easier time explaining these things, because Suryan didn't use words, and words were hardly ever enough.

She smiled, a bit, and then shuffled on her way again, leading to a particular Senkaimon. This one currently went somewhere else, but she could change that. "This will take a moment," she said, her reiatsu flaring just a bit as she went to disconnecting the gate from its current location to Civir. But, after a few moments, the gate began leaking cold, and Kasaya looked pleased for a moment, and then wandered in.

And, of course, on the other side, it let out onto the massive plain of ice that most of Civir was comprised of; at least, actual Civir. Zero Division was based in another part of it. She knew where she was going, and so easily stepped out onto the ice, headed in a specific direction. As she went, the cold and snow swirled together into a white wolf, shaggy fur framing a pair of vibrant cyan eyes. It sat where it was, watching the two, but it made no attempt to intercept.

"That's Civir," she said, gesturing at the wolf. "It won't threaten you if you don't do anything stupid."

Sandalio Villas

León de España

Sandalio nodded a little - he didn't mind if it took a few moments. Better that she take her time and do it right than risk what might happen if the Senkaimon didn't send them to the right place. .... Or wasn't properly connected to anything at all, which was unlikely but technically possible. It wasn't a risk that was worth rushing through the process, certainly.

Besides, Sandi was generally a rather patient guy, and he'd already agreed to however long this was going to take.

Once Kasaya wandered into the gate, Sandalio followed. It ddin't require an effort to remain behind her, though he was careful not to outpace her. He wasn't interested in getting ahead or in ending up in a strange place without his guide. It wasn't long before they emerged into what looked like an icy wasteland, at least to Sandalio. He was quiet for the moment, just following the girl's lead.

At least, right up until she gestured to the wolf and called it 'civir'. "I thought you said this," He gestured broadly at the ice, "was Civir?" His tone was more curious than contradictory. Mostly he wanted to understand. Because that wolf had come out of nowhere. Granted, it may well just have blended in well but he was almost certain he watched part of the snow swirl together to form it and....

Civir. The name meant nothing to him, of course. It would make sense eventually he reminded himself. Still, it didn't stop the curiosity. There was... also the fact that what was stupid to him wouldn't necessarily be the same as what was stupid to a wolf but he didn't mention that. Mostly because Sandi had a pretty good idea of how to avoid getting a predator pissed off at him.

.... Sort of, at least. He wasn't sure if ice wolves might have different rules than normal animals.